Australians and government in particular should support Australian businesses and our quality Australian made goods because of the hugely beneficial flow-on effects to the Australian economy. The term 'Australian Made' should mean just that, so consumers can make an informed choice.
Examples of what needs to be done:
- The Government should take steps which will require manufacturers to regularly disclose the percentage and country of origin of specific ingredients to the Department of Industry for publication on its website.
- The Government should undertake an analysis and report on the benefit of an administrative mechanism which will give manufacturers the ability to apply for a ruling on Country of Origin Labelling claims.
- A single federal authority should be formed to accredit the use of all 'Made in Australia' symbols.
- Government departments should be required to procure a much greater proportion of Australian produced and manufactured products and services.
- Have more effective anti-dumping laws to prevent below-cost imported goods flooding the market and destroying Australian jobs in the process.